HOW TO "mastering English"

Last night I taught a groups of Senior High and University students. They asked me some questions about mastering English. I told them that the most important things you need to do is "at least you have to master around 5000 English words".

They asked me, "Why that many words?"

I said, "5000 words are not many. Everyday people will use at least 1500 words."

"Well, it looks a lot of words, but if you practice it, it is nothing. To be a better one in English speaking you must master around 10,000 words"

I asked my students to test their words mastery. I asked the to write all things in the classroom, I gave them about 2 minutes. After two minutes, I checked their works. I found some students could make more than 20 but some below 15 words. I asked them to check together. In two minutes finally after checking together, we had around 30 things we could mention. I told them, if you could get around 20 or 15, you could divide the number by 30, if you could get 15, divided by 30 meant it was only 50%.

I told them, "Here is the prove". "Offcourse, If I ask you to make sentences, you will find many difficulties."

To conclude the session, I told them that there was no other way if you wanted to master English well, you need to invest your time, and energy. The more you do, the better result you will gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment